Archive for July, 2011

The Wagon has had a seized up wheel ever since I got it.  It has made it a pain in the neck to move around as I need to, and this morning was the morning to tackle it.  I jacked it up and got the front wheel off, pulled the hub & drum and discovered the brake pads were adjusted so far out they were stuck to the drum. The adjuster was frozen in place with rust.  Also as expected the front wheel bearings were very dry, as the grease had turned to a tar like consistency or chunked up dry bits that fell out when I scraped them.

I cleaned the hub, spindle, and removed the star wheel adjuster.  I soaked the adjuster and finally got it to break loose. Cleaned it up and reinstalled it. Found the outer wheel bearing was bad, luckily I had a new pair in my garage from when I had a ’58 T-bird and used it.

I repacked the hub, bearing and installed the brake drum, tightened it all down and boy does it roll now! I will do the same to the other side,  because even though it spins, it does so grudgingly.  It’s a little too hot now so I think I’ll do it this evening after the overhead sun is on the other side of the garage.

UPDATE:

I did the Driver side this evening after the sun was on the other side of t he garage.  It was slightly less seized as the other side. When I was done, I lowered the jack, the tires hit the ground, and promptly rolled backwards off the concrete pad and into the yard! I think it rolls TOO well now.  Pushed it back onto the concrete and blocked the tires.

I had the need to dismantle something this weekend, so I decided to tackle pulling parts off of the ’58 Parts car.  I removed the rear tail light extensions and chrome backing plates.  They are in decent shape, and I will be selling them on Ebay to help fund the wagon restoration.

I also removed the Full Dashboard as one assembly. I will be using it in the Wagon. It is in very nice shape. In fact, it is one of the cleanest and best preserved original dash assemblies I have seen.

The parts car had the optional Town & Country Signal seeking Radio.

The next item I will be removing from the parts car will be the complete front clip. It is very nice, and I will be using it for the wagon.  The whole car is relatively rust free. It is a shame it is a four door, because its worth is only in its parts that interchange with 2 doors and convertibles.


I have always liked the deluxe trim for the 1958 Ford Wagons. That trim package was used on the high end level wagon which Ford called “Del Rio”. It was a Gold ribbed band of aluminum that ran down either side of the 1/4 panel and doors, surrounded by stainless trim. I also liked the way the 2 tone paint is used with this trim.

The Blue/White Wagon has the Del Rio Trim.  The Red/White Wagon has the standard Ranch Wagon Trim. I like both, but the Del Rio trim level makes the two/tone paint breaks look better. It is just a matter of personal preference.

So I discovered  that the 1958 Ranchero could be ordered with this Del Rio Trim, and that finding a Ranchero with the trim would be alot easier to find than an actual Del Rio wagon with the trim.  I found a set on Ebay, and purchased it. The trim was in decent shape, with a small ding here or there. It can be repaired and polished fairly easily.  I have done it before, and while it is time consuming I have had great success in making slightly dented trim look like brand new.